M.W. Patterson’s book A History of the Church of England is now a available for free download in PDF. It covers English Church history from the arrival of the first missionaries up to the Victorian era (when the book was written). The book became public domain last year.
M.W. Patterson [1873-1944], A History of the Church of England. London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1929. Hbk. pp.457. Click to download.
- The Church in Britain Before the Anglo-Saxon Conquest
- The Anglo-Saxon Conquest and the Roman Mission
- The Work of the Scotch Missionaries Till the Synod Of Whitley, 664
- Wilfrid and Theodore: The Organisation of the Church
- The Church to the Norman Conquest – The Coming of the Danes – Alfred and His Successors
- The Church Under the Norman Kings
- The Conflict of Church and State – Henry II. and Thomas Becket
- The Church and The Great Charter
- The Church in the Thirteenth Century
- The Church and the Wycliffite Movement
- The Church at the Close of the Middle Ages
- The New Learning and the Early Years of Henry VIII.
- The Reformation Under Henry VIII.
- The Reign of Edward VI. and the Growth of Protestant Influences
- The Marian Reaction and the Elizabethan Settlement
- The Church Under Elizabeth – Puritanism and Romanism
- The Church Under the Early Stewarts – The Laudian Regime
- The Long Parliament and the Puritan Revolt
- The Restoration and the Revolution
- The Church from 1714-1833 – Rationalism and the Evangelical Revival
- The Oxford Movement and the Victorian Era
- Bishoprics On Eve of Norman Conquest
- Doctrine Concerning Sacrament of Holy Communion
- Synopsis of Reformation Parliament
- Sacrificial Aspect of Holy Communion
- The Ornaments Rubric
- Anglican Orders
- Lists of Popes, Archbishops, Kings
Map of Dioceses Old and New Under Henry VIII
Map of Dioceses in 1909